I've always loved the way those wrap apron skirts look. But I hate wrap skirts, I'm just too worried they're going to come undone. I have seen people add a zipper to the back or side but I hate committing to a size in a way that zippers require.
This skirt has the look of an apron skirt but slips on (and stays on) without a zipper and still has a flexible fit. You could say it's my new fav.
What You Need
This can be easily adjusted to a kids size by decreasing the width (I'd use I length of 44" for kids under 8 and over 8 I'd just do a very full skirt and do the same width) and changing the length.
- Skirt Fabric 2 pieces 44 X length of desired skirt plus 3 (for me this was 27 inches) I used Bittersweet Main Orange
- Band Fabric 1/2 yard I used Bittersweet Floral Green
- Elastic enough to stretch across your back (for me this was 10 inches)
What to Do
- Make the sash. Start by cutting or tearing your fabric into 3 pieces each 6x44 inches long. Then cut one of those pieces down to the the length of the distance of the front of your waist (basically from one side to the other for me this is 17 inches).
- Next sew your your short edges of one of your long pieces to the short edge of your middle piece right sides together.
- Repeat with the other short edge of the middle piece and the other piece of fabric right sides together. Now you should have a long strip of fabric.
- Next fold the sash in half right sides together. Sew down an angle at the short edge and then down the length of the fabric with a 1/4 inch seam allowance. Leave the other short edge open for easy turning.
- Turn your sash right side out. I like using a loop turner for this.
- Iron your sash making sure to tuck the open end in at an angle.
- Sew across the end to close the hole up. Set your sash piece aside.
- Sew your your skirt by sewing the side edges of the skirt pieces with right sides together.
- Finish the top and bottom edges of the skirt with a serger, zig zag stitch or pinking shears.
- Gather the top edge of the skirt. For a slower treatment of how to gather see my awesome cheater gathering trick.
- Pin your elastic to the back edge of your skirt gather your skirt to the elastic. Sew the elastic onto the skirt while stretching the elastic (this is easier to understand when watching the video).
- Attach the band to the skirt.
I love that this skirt looks like a dress but that you can change the top for a completely different look or change up the type of sleeves for different occasions or weather!
I also think it's fun to sometimes wear the bow in the front and other times wear the bow in the back!