I already shared all the non-food parts of the First Annual Harry Potter Birthday Party here. So today is all about the food. Not only do I adore all things Potter but I love love love party food!
Magic (Chicken) Wands
Chicken Satay and Peanut Butter Sauce. For the Chicken I just used a packet of Thai Satay seasoning to marinate the chicken and them grilled them.
Peanut Butter Sauce
- 1/2 C coconut milk
- 2-3 TBS peanut butter
- 1 TBS curry paste (this should vary depending on your taste and how spicy your curry paste is)
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- Microwave and stir the above until well combined add a couple squirts of lime juice and taste add more peanut butter if needed or more soy sauce if you want it saltier
Gillyweed Stalks (Grilled Zucchini)
These are grilled zucchini and although these are insanely simple they are absolutely fabulous everyone. One of my friends shared this recipe and I was instantly won over. I’ve made them multiple times a week since I learned about them. Every one I’ve made them for has love them too, especially the ladies. I’m a major fried food person and I think these are better than fries and fried zucchini, just saying.
- zucchinni (1 person probably isn’t too much, my friends and family can handle that haha, the other day I made that much and my mom and MIL had downed them all before I finished cooking the rest of dinner)
- slice the ends off and the cut into quarters lengthwise and then cut in half
- place in a ziplock bag with 1-2 TBS olive oil and 4-5 good shakes of garlic salt (you don’t want the zuccs drenched in oil, I’ve done as little as 1 tsp for 2-3 zuccs and it works great)
- marinate for 2 hours or so and then grill
Forbidden Forest Pate (Hummus)
This was a guest addition so I don’t have a recipe but my mom and I loved it so I may be reporting a recipe soon as it was one of the best homemade hummus recipes I’ve ever had.
Bertie Bot’s Every Flavor Beans
So hubby says he can’t fine the Harry Potter/jellybelly brand ones anywhere (and he’d know) so we got the other brand of gross jelly beans. He really wanted to mix them into the regular jelly beans but I vetoed that since I’m already grossed out by mint and coffee in the regular flavors I knew I’d avoid the candy altogether if I knew there was any chance of me biting into skunk or vomit. And as you see I couldn’t even get one shot without a little hand in it.
Polyuice Potion, Pumpkin Juice, and Gillywater
All of these drinks were in the books but I didn’t really feel like going all out nor did the through of butter infused rootbeer (to make butterbeer) sound the least bit appealing. So I just added red and yellow food coloring to lemonade and put labels on the soda and water. For my movie premier party though I’ll probably make a pumpkin soup.
So I dreamed this up and put my sister on it. I think she did an insanely good job!
- 1 pack blue jello divided (we used an 8 serving)
- whipped topping like cool whip
- Make up 2/3 of the pack of jello according to the directions (of course use only 2/3 of the water ) and let that set.
- Mix the remaining 1/3 pack jello mix with hot water add some ice cubes and cool whip. Put into a pastry bag with a tip. (we used the 8 serving pack so 1/3 of that with 1/3 C hot water a few ice cubes and 1 C cool whip)
- You’ll need two people for this step. Cut a swirl into the jello have one person open the cut with two spoons and have the other person pipe the creamy mixture into the set jello. And then chill
Padfoot Paws (Beef Empanadas)
I used this recipe for empanadas. I thought it needed way more seasoning, it was kind of bland. I baked it so obviously I’m sure they’d be tastier fried. I may or may not make them again I thought it had lots of potential but I wish I had tasted the filling before stuffing them and added more salt and other spices since the wrap part wasn’t salty at all, maybe I’d add salt there too.
Heidi brought this. If you don’t remember Mrs. Weasley made Harry a fabulous Snitch cake in the the last book. So cute isn’t it!