This is a project I’ve been meaning to do for years, ahem since I first shared my work space with you guys. ugg. It was such an easy one I’m not sure why I kept putting it off.
I have a few of those Ikea Expedit shelves as I’m sure many of you do as well. The thing is, I”m not really a basket girl and all the boxes and tote options just don’t do anything for me.
These work on the new Ikea Kallax shaves and most cube shelve options too!
More Organizing Tips You May Like
- Chair Organizing Pouch
- Craft Supply Hack great time saver I do this all the time
- Color Coder Binder Clips
- 40+ tools to help you get Organized
How to Make Fabric Covered Boxes
I decided to cover just the front side of the box just to conserve fabric and since these boxes aren’t ever going to be hanging out in the open.
I just pull them out for a minute or two and put them right back. But I’m sure you could use this same idea to cover the full box.
What You Need To Cover Boxes with Fabric
I have a high preference for the Costco ones, they are double thick and all the other kinds I’ve use have ripped over time these are study and awesome
- File boxes
- Hot glue gun and glue
- Fabric (I used about 15×13 inch pieces for each of mine)
- White fabric for an in between later if your fabric is thin or see through
How to Make Fabric Storage Boxes
Now it’s time to get to it. Really this couldn’t be any easier!
- Cut fabric for each box. If there are any parts of the box showing through cut white fabric to act as a lining and glue the white fabric in place.
- Fold the edges of the fabric around the box and glue and fold as you go trying to pull it as tight as possible.
- Cut slits in the handle hole. I used my rotary cutter to get in. Glue fabric around the hand hole.
- Tape the edges of the fabric. This is probably optional but the way I use these boxes I wanted an extra safeguard against unraveling and pulling.
- Look at your beautiful boxes and wonder why you didn’t do this sooner.
I really really love my boxes. Sorry, I didn’t bother cleaning up for you guys but I figured I always love seeing other people’s work spaces so I did a zoomed out shot for you all.
Can you believe I used to have that nasty paper printing showing? Oh man looking at the pictures in the old post cracks me up I’ve added a few tables and lots other crap haha.
You May Also Like:
My trick to how to professionally hem knits on a regular sewing machine.
BEST Crock Pot Corned Beef Roast recipe.