This is a project I’ve been meaning to do for years, ahem since I first shared my work space with you guys. ugg. It was such an easy one I’m not sure why I kept putting it off. I have a few of those Ikea Expedit shelves as I’m sure many of you do as well. The thing is, I”m not really a basket girl and all the boxes and tote options just don’t do anything for me.
I decided to cover just the front side of the box just to conserve fabric and since these boxes aren’t ever going to be hanging out in the open. I just pull them out for a minute or two and put them right back. But I’m sure you could use this same idea to cover the full box.
What You Need
- File boxes (I have a high preference for the Costco ones, they are double thick and all the other kinds I’ve use have ripped over time these are study and awesome)
- Hot glue gun and glue
- Fabric (I used about 15×13 inch pieces for each of mine)
- White fabric for an in between later if your fabric is thin or see through
What To Do
- Cut fabric for each box. If there are any parts of the box showing through cut white fabric to act as a lining and glue the white fabric in place.
- Fold the edges of the fabric around the box and glue and fold as you go trying to pull it as tight as possible.
- Cut slits in the handle hole. I used my rotary cutter to get in. Glue fabric around the hand hole.
- Tape the edges of the fabric. This is probably optional but the way I use these boxes I wanted an extra safeguard against unraveling and pulling.
- Look at your beautiful boxes and wonder why you didn’t do this sooner.
I really really love my boxes. Sorry, I didn’t bother cleaning up for you guys but I figured I always love seeing other people’s work spaces so I did a zoomed out shot for you all. Can you believe I used to have that nasty paper printing showing? Oh man looking at the pictures in the old post cracks me up I’ve added a few tables and lots other crap haha.