I’ve been insanely obsessed with making rosette hair accessories this past week. Seriously I made a few clipies for gifts and two different elastic headbands to go with different outfits I wore last week. I really really like them, and every time I wear one out I get compliments. I think the best part is that I can throw my hair up in a claw clip or poofed pony tail and not feel like a slob ;) I hope you have fun making them as well.
And just for fun to say goodbye to 2010 and hello to 2011 I’ll be giving one of these away on the RaeGun facebook page. Just go fan the page and then read this post for info of how to enter the giveaway (ends Jan. 11, 2011). And if you’re not feeling crafty or don’t have the time I’ve added some to my shop and I’ll be adding more they’ll all be in the accessories section.
(click on the pic to see a larger view)
What you’ll need
Strips of fabric
Hair Clips, pins or headband (I love the elastic ones, they’re comfortable enough for me to wear all day)
Hot glue gun with glue
optional: mesh, lace, beads, etc.
What to do
- tear or cut your strips of fabric I like them to be between 1 and 3 inches
- fold the strip in half lengthwise (hotdog bun style not hamburger bun)
- start to roll at one end gluing every couple of rolls
- after a few rolls start twisting (you’ll get slightly different looks depending how tightly you twist)
- glue often, I do a dot about every half of third of the circumference
- when it’s big enough to your liking cut the fabric leaving a little tail, put some glue on the underside and fasten the tail.
- If you want to add leaves cut leaves out of felt. Otherwise cut a small square out of felt small enough that it will not show you will be gluing this to the bottom of the rosette.
- Cut any other fabric, feathers or other embellishments you want to use.
- FOR THE HAIR CLIPS OR HEADBANDS : lay any other embellishments under the rosette and glue the felt to the back of the rosette. Then glue the rosette onto the clip (the felt should provide a good base to attach the rosette)
- FOR THE HAIRPINS: make your rosette and layer the embellishments you’d like to use glue them together then cut a piece of felt to attach to the back of the rosette and glue. Finally cut a small piece of felt slide it in between the parts of the hairpin then glue to the felt already attached to the rosette.
Enjoy! Let me know if you try it out.