One of my favorite parts about the holidays is curling up in a blanket with a good book or movie. Even more fun when you can curl up with your favorite people. But then you always have the blanket tug-of-war thing going on. So when I stumbled across this super cute Christmas cookie fleece fabric at Jo-Ann Fabrics and Crafts I knew I wanted to make a big family sized blanket.
I’ve made a bunch of these blankets for some reason I’ve never blogged them before. Last year I gave my sister her own single sized one that matches her bedroom that she still uses. These are so fast and with all the cute fleece fabrics out there these days you can make one to fit with any taste or decor.
What You Need
- 2.5 Yards of Fleece
- 3/4 Yard of Quilting Cotton
- Bias Tape Maker (manual ones are very inexpensive just a few bucks and easy to use or electric bias tape makers like I used are fun too!)
What To Do
- Start by straightening your cotton (edging) fabric. To do this snip along the selvage edge about 1/4 inch and start tearing. It should tear straight. If you don’t make it to the other end snip again. Alternatively if you want you can just cut 2 inch strips but I find it faster and more relaxing to tear when I can.
- Once your fabric is straightened tear 11 two inch strips. Do this by snipping just two inches in from the straightened edge and tear. It will tear straight since it’s a woven fabric. If you decide to use a knit it won’t tear so just measure and cut!
- Once you have your strips sew the ends together right sides together to make a long chain. This isn’t real bias tape since we didn’t cut it on the bias but it works for our needs
- Feed your chain through your bias tape maker so that the raw edges are folded in.
- Next trim any excess off of your fleece and round the corners. I like to use a bowl as a guide.
- Sandwich the faux bias tape around edge of the fleece. Zig zag on top making sure to catch all the layers.
- When you get to the end cut your faux bias tape about an inch over the edge of the starting point. Fold under and sew down.
Isn’t it perfect? I think a big old family blanket would be the perfect neighbor gift or present for that family who you just don’t know what to give them. It’ll help them make a wonderfully cozy corner in their house. And if you’re feeling extra generous pair it with a great book for reading out loud, a movie, popcorn or even some redbox codes!
If you don’t already know Jo-Ann Fabrics and Crafts is running a super fun contest. All you have to do is share a picture of your holiday creations on Instagram and tag them #makeitgiveit. So simple right and you could be featured by Jo-Anns and even win a 100$ gift card! Need some ideas? Check out what others are sharing! #Makeitgiveit is more than just an online sweepstakes; it is a partnership between Jo-Ann and the National Military Family Association this holiday season.
You have until December 25th to enter, so start snapping pics! There will be 5 winners announced on Dec. 30th. In addition to the winners Joann’s will giving 5 – $100 gift cards to the National Military Family Association to distribute to families. See official rules here: https://bit.ly/MIGI14. All entries will be featured on Joann’s Make Gifts Merrier Holiday Hub at https://share.joann.com, so be sure to check it out!