Sometimes the best gift you can give is a gift card. But when I give a gift card I like to still try and make it special. I still want my recipient to have something to open and hold you know?
I’m kind of a gift giving snob. I love making or finding something that my recipient will really love. But sometimes the perfect item is more of an experience like a massage from Massage Envy or movie outing. And sometimes I just don’t have a great idea and rather than buying something generic I want my loved one to end up with something they really like. For those times I happily give gift cards. But when I give a gift card I always like to have a little something tangible with it and my favorite thing is to create a cute gift card holder that can be reused ad a little bag later. Today I’m sharing an easy circular gift card pouch tutorial.
I love the non-traditional shape of the circular bag. In this tutorial I have sized the pouch to be the perfect size for one or two gift cards but you could easily change the measurements to make a bigger or smaller bag!
What You Need
- Outside fabric – 11×11 inches
- Lining Fabric – 11×11 inches
- 1/2 inch or wider Casing Ribbon – 27 inches
- 1/8 inch Drawstring Ribbon – 1 yard
- Small safety pin (it needs to be skinnier than the width of your ribbon).
What to Do
- Cut both fabric pieces into 11 inch diameter circles.
- With right sides together sew the fabric together using a 1/4 inch seam allowance leaving a 1 inch opening.
- Clip around the edges up to but not across to the stitching line.
- Turn your circle right sides out and press with an iron.
- Sew around the very edge of the circle to close up the hole.
- Run the edge of your ribbon across a flame to seal the edge.
- Lay the ribbon about an inch from the edge of your circle. Sew down along the very edge of your ribbon.
- Repeat on the other edge. This will make a casing for your drawstring. Make sure to pick a ribbon wide enough to thread your drawstring ribbon through and try to sew at the edge to leave enough space.
- Using a small safety pin to thread your drawstring ribbon into the casing.
- Fill with an awesome gift card!
And for any of my loved ones who might be reading this if you need any gift ideas for me I’d happily take a gift card to #MassageEnvyUtah ;) I have fallen in love with how my massage therapist makes me feel after my monthly visits and I just can’t get enough. Really I think almost any of those hard to find a gift for people would probably like a massage for Christmas. #MEUtah #ReliefStartsRightHere
I shared how to make a circular pouch on Skip to My Lou 11/4/2015.
Let’s connect! You can also find me hanging out here.