(this is my current camera, I love it, it is a great camera but inside pictures could be better and pictures of the nieces are almost always blurry unless they are posing outside in the sun)
So I’ll be paying off the last of our non-house debt (my student loan) this week. That means we’ll be debt-free except the house (Dave Ramsey shout out). But I’ve been wanting a good camera for a while and I’m thinking that I may use some of my Halloween costume earnings towards one this year. But I’m not sure where to start. So I figured I’d reach out to you guys. Here’s a bit about how I take pictures and what’s important to me.
What I want out of a camera
- I’m not going to be a professional photographer, I’m not going to ever want gigantic prints. I just want to take better quality pictures.
- I take pictures of clothing for my Etsy shop (but really I think my point and shoot is adequate for that)
- I want a camera that can take pictures of kids well. They move so fast and I want less blurry pictures
- I want to be able to take decent pictures inside (again of kids that won’t stay still)
- I want to be able to take pictures in low light/not the best light circumstances without that hideous flash look
- I want something that if I notice I want to take a picture I won’t miss the moment while the camera is getting ready, turning on, etc.
The questions I can think of
- What cameras do you love and why?
- Are there certain places I should look for a camera, places I should avoid?
- What what would you consider a good deal or package?
- What lenses, other accessories (bounce flash?) do you find you use a lot? What are fun to have? What do you think is a waste of money?
- Do you have any links to things I can read or opinions of cameras?
- Are some just easier to use than others or is it just a matter of what you’re comfortable with and what you want to invest time to figure out?
- Do you have questions for me to think through when I’m thinking about what camera is for me?
- For those of you who aren’t photographers how offend do you really use your DSLR, do you find it annoying, heavy, big to lug around?
- What do you think of the other brands (like not canon or nikon)?
- What are long term things I should consider (maybe price of lenses, stuff like that that I have no idea about yet)?
- Do I want a DSLR or maybe just a more fancy regular camera?