Whether you’ve got a voracious reader or more of a reluctant one I’m sharing a ton of Middle Grade books perfect for those kids that are just not quite ready for full blown Young Adult books or us older folk that just want a great book.
But first what is Middle Grade? Typically the focus audience for middle grade is 8-12 but contrary to popular belief these books aren’t necessarily just for the little kids. They can be complex and developed stories full of fabulous characters, story lines and settings. I mean the Harry Potter books are considered Middle Grade (although I think the later books might fall more in the YA category). In MG books the character’s are getting their first taste of independence (think going to camp or a day totally without any adults). The relationships focus more on friendship and romantic relationships usually stay at the crush or very first kiss level. While there might be rough real life experiences you don’t expect to get a graphic description, profanity, or in depth treatment of the evil and violence. They are aimed at a reader who isn’t quite a teen yet but plenty of older readers like myself can definitely find them entertaining. These also make GREAT road trip books when you have a car with some younger kids in it!
To read a description of each book or series click on the title and you’ll be able to see the official synopses. Or Debra from Housewife Eclectic and I will be chat books and share our favorite Middle Grade books in this video here (see her list here).
- Theodosia Thromorten Series starts with Theodosia and the Serpents of Chaos
- Artemis Fowl Series and Airman and Half-Moon Investigations by Eoin Colfer
- Magisterium Series by Cassandra Clare and Holly Black starts with The Iron Trial
- The Books of Bayern* by Shannon Hale starts with The Goose Girl (She writes lots of great middle grade including the The Princess Academy Series and Princess in Black Series)
- Dollbones by Holly Black
- The Ascendance Trilogy* by Jennifer A. Nielsen starts with The False Prince
- The Opal Mask duology* by Jenny Lundquist starts with The Princess in the Opal Mask and Seeing Cinderella
- Percy Jackson Series by Rick Riordan (he has other great Midgrade seriess too!)
- The Witches by Roahl Dahl
- Better Nate than Ever by Tim Federle
- Just My Luck by Cammie McGovern (this is listed as MG but I think it’s on the mature side)
- Sorcery and Cecilia or The Enchanted Chocolate Pot series by Patricia C. Wrede and Caroline Stevermer
- Harry Potter Books by J.K. Rowling
- Inkheart series by Cornelia Funke
- The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman
You also might like: