I first had this delicious Teddy Graham Chex mix recipe on a rafting trip. It was the perfect camping food. Since then we make this easy sweet snack mix for every holiday. You can even use your Instant Pot or slow cooker to make crock pot Chex mix!
We were instantly addicted and I’ve made a batch with my own adjustments every week since.
I seriously make this for every single holiday. I’ve made St. Patrick’s day versions. I’ve added Easter elements and even Cadbury eggs for an Easter Snack Mix and it’s my go to gift for my dad and Father in law. And they LOVE it!
Why We Love Teddy Graham Chex Mix
- It’s got the perfect amount of sweet and salty. It’s not overly sweet so it appeals to everyone.
- It’s easy to change up for seasons, holidays, or personal tastes. Like nuts? Use them. Got allergies swap out for a cereal you can eat. It’s really easy to customize.
- The teddy grahams add an unexpected cute factor that is also delicious.
- It’s easy to make ahead and stores great.
- You can make this on the stove, or even in your slow cooker or Instant Pot.
More Great Party Recipes
- World’s Best Guacamole – the secret ingredient and special prep technique really push it over the top
- EASY Spinach Artichoke Dip – another great crock pot option my husbands co-workers always request we bring this to the holiday party.
- Delicious Bean Dip – this is actually just homemade refried beans but trust me they are magical. Creamy and rich and served with chips they are the best. You can layer them in a 7 layer dip or serve them warm like I do as a dip on their own.
- Buffalo Chicken Dip – its just as easy and throwing everything into the crock pot but the flavor that comes out is amazing
- Cowboy Caviar – a light refreshing mix of beans, corn and avocado perfect for serving with chips
What you Need to Make Chex Mix
I prefer the texture and flavor of crispix but when they’ve been out at the store or when I am serving friends who don’t do wheat it’s nice to have the various Chex versions as options.
- 4 cups Crispix or Corn Chex
- 3 cups Pretzels
- 3 cups Honey Teddy Grahams
- 1/2 cup pecan pieces (optional)
- Cooking Spray
- 3/4 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 6 TBSP light corn syrup (Karos)
- 3 TBSP stick butter
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp salt
As with all my recipes you can totally make this your own. Feel free to tweak the amounts to your family’s preferences.
I don’t always add nuts but find it’s a delicious addition and love all different kinds of nuts. Try sliced almonds or cashews if you are a nut lover!
How to Make Chex Mix
- Preheat oven to 250
- Line a jelly roll pan with foil and spray it with pam. Combine first 4 ingredient on the pan. I found it was easier too leave it mounded (not spread out) for the next step.
- Combine brown sugar, corn syrup, and butter in a small saucepan; cook over medium heat 2 minutes or until sugar and butter melt, stirring constantly. You don’t want to cook it so long that it thickens because then it’s harder to coat all the pieces. Remove from heat; stir in vanilla and salt. Immediately pour syrup mixture evenly over cereal mixture, tossing quickly to coat well.
- 4. Bake at 250 for 1 hour, stirring every 15 minutes. Spread warm snack mix in a single layer on wax paper (we used parchment paper) to cool. Break cooled snack mix apart. Store in an airtight container.
The snack mix should keep for up to two weeks if you don’t gobble it up before then!
Crock Pot Chex Mix
If you want you you can easily make this yummy sweet snack mix in the slow cooker! To do that simply melt the butter in the microwave and then add all the ingredients to your crock pot. Cover and cook on low for 3 hours making sure to stir every 45 minutes.
After that simply spread the snack mix on wax paper or parchment paper allow to cool completely before placing in an air tight container.
Instant Pot Chex Mix Instructions
If you want to use your Instant Pot to make this it’s super easy. Whether you are remodeling your kitchen, camping or on vacation it can be handy to know how to make Instant Pot Chex mix.
It’s actually really simple. Set your Instant Pot to sauté on the more temperature. Add the butter, sugar, corn syrup and salt. Bring to a boil stirring every once in a while. Allow to boil for 2 minutes and then hit cancel. Next stir in the vanilla. Add all the dry ingredients and turn back to sauté but make sure it is set to less. Cook on sauté less for 15 minutes constantly stirring. Hit cancel and poor the contents of the pot on parchment paper to cool.
You May Also Like:
BEST Crock Pot Corned Beef Roast recipe.
How to make easy professional looking chocolate covered strawberries.
I subbed half the pecans for some almond for my second batch which I preferred but both my mom and hubby commented about how they liked the first batch because “it had more nuts” like almonds aren’t nuts haha. Anyways I think the next batch I’m going to use cashews.