I’m using the term empanda loosely since I’m being a cheater and using frozen puff pastry but they are so stinking good and easy hopefully you won’t mind. We had something of this feel at a Purivian restaurant that closed down and ever since then I’ve been wanting to try to make my own. These aren’t sweetened like a breakfast cream cheese pastry but they aren’t crazy salty either. I think of them as plain yummy. We had them with tomato soup for dinner earlier this week but I think they’d be really tasty as an afternoon snack. You can easily double the recipe for more.
What you need
- 1 sheet puff pastry thawed
- whipped cream cheese (about 9 tsp)
- 1/4 C shredded cheese (we used a taco mix) I used 9 small pinches
- guava preserves or jelly (I used about 5 tsp)
What to do
- Cut the puff pastry into 9 squares
- Roll out each square with a rolling pin so they are slightly bigger.
- Put a pinch of shredded cheese, a tsp of cream cheese and half a tsp of guava jelly on each square.
- Fold over and press closed with the ends of a fork to seal.
- Bake at 400 F for until nicely browned (12-18 minutes)