Dairy Free Donut Recipe
- 2 1/4 tsp yeast (or 1 packet)
- 2 TBS warm water
- 3/4 C lukewarm rice milk (or other milk substitute or milk if you don't have a dietary restriction)
- 1/4 C sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 egg (or if you want to make it vegan 1 egg substitute like Ener-G)
- 3 tsp shortening
- 2 1/2 C AP flour
- Oil for frying
- In a large bowl proof the yeast by sprinkling over warm water and letting sit for 5 minutes or more. Yeast should be foamy. If it's not foamy your yeast might be too old or your water might have been too hot and killed them.
- Add rice milk, sugar, salt, egg, shortening, and 1.5 C flour. Mix on low. Slowly add in flour 1/2 a cup at a time until your dough starts to pull away from the sides of the mixing bowl. Knead for a few more minutes.
- Turn dough out spray the bowl with spray oil and put the dough back in the bowl covered to rise. Set in a warm place until it doubles in size. You can speed up the rising process by sticking it in the oven with the light on and a bowl of warm water and the oven door closed (but not on).
- Next turn the dough out onto a floured surface. For mini donuts roll the dough to about 1/4 inch thickness. For regular donuts use 1/2 inch thickness. Then cut with a donut cutter like this one.
- Heat oil to 300 F and fry donuts flipping to get both sides golden. Pay attention they will fry up fast!
- While they are still warm
- 2 TBS Earth Balance (or butter if you don't have a dietary restriction)
- 1 C powdered sugar
- 3/4 tsp vanilla
- Sprinkles (note that most sprinkles are NOT vegan. If you want to make them vegan try these sprinkles)
- Melt earth balance over low heat.
- Stir in powdered sugar and vanilla.
- While the donuts are still warm dip in the glaze. I like to dip both sides. The donut dough is not very sweet you need the glaze to get a good flavor.
- Top with sprinkles or other decorations.
Want even more donut goodness? Some of my blog friends and I have joined forces to share 10 amazing mini donut recipes! Enjoy :) Make sure you check out the other 9 fabulous donut recipes participating in the hop today. Just click on the picture or title below to grab the recipe.
Let’s connect! You can also find me hanging out here.