Remember those giant dolls? Well they aren’t pirates any more, I made them the cutest (and easiest) Elves Costumes!
I apologize for the super long video. I’ve been sick and now the little one is sick so I didn’t have a chance to edit it down and I thought eep Christmas is SOOON I just need to share this. But I hope to come back and replace this FB LIVE replay with a bare bones tutorial version!
- 1 Panel Doll Fabric (there are three options with different hair and skin tones)
- 1/4 yard each Red and White 1/2 Inch Stripe Fabric
- 1/4 yard (or scrap) Green Fleece
- Green 1/4 inch Ribbon
- 6 inches 1/4 inch elastic
- FREE Pirate Doll Costume Patterns
- Holly Shoe Bells
The pattern is available as a FREE DOWNLOAD to my newsletter subscribers. You can download the pattern here along with many other free patterns and templates.
- The password is in every newsletter so if you’re already a subscriber check your last newsletter near the bottom the go to this page to access the patterns.
- Or if you’re not already a subscriber sign up right here and when you confirm your email it should give you a welcome page with the password for my downloads page.
What to Do
- Sew the Dolls according to the directions on the fabric panel. You can watch me sew the girl one in the video above or the boy in this video.
- Cut the pattern pieces out. I used woven for the stripes but in retrospect I could have easily used the knit version and wouldn’t have to worry about fraying. But I think the fraying adds to the pirate feel.
- Note I’m not doing any finishing work since they are doll costume but if you want to finish your seams, edge stitches the pointy edges, press and all that feel free too!
- I used 1/4 inch seam allowances
Boy Elf Doll Costume
- With right sides together sew the straight sides of the short pieces together (this will make the center seams).
- Open up and sew along the curve of the inseam.
- Iron the top edge under 1/2 inch and sew down to form a casing making sure to leave an opening for the elastic.
- Insert elastic. Sew ends of elastic together and close up the hole in the casing. The shorts are now done
- Make the vest by sewing the front vest pieces to the back vest piece at the top edge.
- Then sew the side seams from the markings making sure to leave holes for the arms.
- Top stitch the ric rac onto the right side of the vest along the front edge and neck. Now your vest should be done.
- Cut a length of ribbon for the sash. And attach a Holly Shoe Jingle Bell.
Girl Elf Doll Costume
- With right sides together sew the side seams of the dress.
- Fold the arm holes under 1/4 inch and sew down.
- Fold the top edges under 1/2 inch and sew down.
- Thread the green ribbon through the neck casings you have just made. I like to use a loop turner for this. You will tie a bow to close the dress on the doll. Now your dress is done.
- Wrap a Holly Shoe Bell around one of her pony tails and you’re good to go.