You know those projects that you have all the stuff for but never seem to get to? Well I may have bought a glass pendant kit and extras from Sun and Moon Craft Kits a while (ahem 2 years) ago.
Wanting to do something in celebratory anticipation of Veronica Roth’s Insurgent release date (next week) I decided some solid fan jewelry (you know ’cause I don’t have enough) would be the perfect project. Including photo editing time but not drying time it was a real quickie. It only took me about an hour from start to finish. Nice right? And if you want to make your own Divergent or Insurgent ones using my printables it will be loads faster. I LOVE how the Insurgent one turned out so much!
The pendants are made with images from the book covers and then I added some charms and beads that are meaningful to each book. For the Insurgent one I did a tree for Amity and the cover. Also since we see a lot more of both Amity and Candor I used beads for their factions. The Divergent one is all Dauntless. I used a black bead since that’s their color, a train charm, and two orange yellow beads that reminded me of fire to symbolize the choosing of the faction by both Tris and Four. Fun right? Too nerdy? Impossible!
Of course whether or not you’re the insane book nerd like me this is a fun easy (and cheap) project that can be used with any image, picture, or cool paper. It would make an awesome Mother’s Day gift if you used a cute picture or put mom’s initial or something she likes.
What You Need
- Glass Tiles (these are the ones I used and that fit with my printable)
- Printed Images (if you want you can use mine below)
- Glaze/Glue (I used the Sun and Moon kind but I think anything that would stick the paper to the glass would work, just be mindful of your print and if your glue will make the ink run or bleed)
- Pendant bail (or magnets or anything else you want to stick the tiles to)
- Strong Glue (I love E6000)
- Extra charms, beads, findings, jump rings, etc. (optional)
What To Do
- Make or obtain your image (the ones I made are below if you want to use them). I just made the image 1 1/4 x 7/8 inches (the size of my tiles) in photoshop then I printed them on cardstock just with my inkjet printer.
- Cut images out. Lay tile on to since you may need to trim them more like I did.
- Apply a thin layer of glaze to the right (pretty) side of the image and then stick to the flat side of the tile. I did squiggles and then gently spread it with my finger.
- Press out any air bubbles. Allow to dry. (I only waited a few minutes).
- Trim excess paper if necessary.
- Apply glaze to the back side of the paper to seal. Allow dry (I let it dry for a few hours).
- Mark the position for you to attach the pendant bail, magnet or whatever you’re using the tile for.
- Attach the pendant bail (or whatever) with glue and allow to dry completely.
- If you want to add other fun charms and beads add do that. And your done so cute right?
Click on Image to englarge to full size then you can save it to your computer (sized for 1 1/4 x 7/8 inch tiles)