I can’t believe next week is Christmas, holy cow. This week the theme for Top Ten Tuesday with The Broke and the Bookish is Favorite Reads of 2012. So without further delay here are some of the book that stood out that were released in 2012 (or that I read this year and just had to mention again) I tried to do different books than I did last week with favorite authors of 2012 because seriously it’s so hard to narrow it down to ten each week. I’ve raved about all of these before so I’m keeping the descriptions short but if you click on the links you can read more about each one. Also be sure to connect with me on Goodreads.
- Cinder – great Cinderella retelling but with Sci-fi awesomeness and a super appealing prince.
- Grave Mercy – teen nun assassins, love, gorgeous dresses and loads of action.
- Insignia – the Ender’s game fan and video game con going girl in me loved this. Fun story with great friends.
- Shadow and Bone – yes it’s I’m talking about this book again. one of the best villians ever, awesome fantasy, and super original story.
- Throne of Glass -oh yeah this one too, but seriously guys I loved it. Fighting awesomeness, some crush worthy boys, super cool story, and a heroine that stays up late reading even though she’s got to fight for her life the next day.
- Partials – a great dystopian with a medical bent. Action packed and great for Hunger Games fans.
- City of Lost Souls – yes it’s many down the line in the mortal instrument series but I loved how we got so much more from each of the characters including the parent’s generation
- Crown of Embers – Best.Sequel.Ever. okay maybe tied for Ender’s Shadow. But boy oh boy I adore this book. Yup, a great, real, relatable and strong heroine,fun story, and kissing in sewers weeee!
- Dash and Lily’s Book of Dares – this is not new this year but I read it in 2012 and loved it. Definitely my favorite contemporary read. such a darling story, very sweet, fun and quirky and as a bonus could definitely pass as a christmas/winter book. Plus squeely!!!
- The Adoration of Jenna Fox – another older but new to me. This book was awesome. Great story with wonderful family dynamics that tickled the philosopher in me. Questions of what counts as a person, how far would you go for someone you loved, and other bio-ethicy themes.
And since I made a bookish ornament that was super easy over the weekend I figured I’d share. Even Ron and Hermione think it’s cool. Plus they are super fast and easy if you need a gift for a book geek.
All you need is a plastic ornament, a page from a book, mod podge, loose glitter, some clear spray paint and some ribbon. Just tear the page in pieces. Paint some mod podge onto the ornament lay the pieces on top and paint more mod podge all over. Repeat until covered. Then add another layer of mod podge and sprinkle glitter on top. Allow to dry. Then spray with some clear spray paint, add a ribbon and you’re good to go! Merry Christmas everyone.