I LOVE when they make my favorite books into movies. I just think it’s so fun to see the world come alive on the big screen. I used to have a hard time with little changes and things being different. But I think I’ve come to understand that story telling just has to be different in the two media. That being said there are still some movies that do a much better time keeping the spirit and story strong and others what sadly make me wonder if people will ever pick up the book or if they movie makers even read the book. Today I’m linking up some of my favorite book to movie adaptations for Top Ten Tuesday. I kept on thinking of books that I read really young and don’t remember how accurate those movies were so I left them off but I’d love to hear what some of your favorite (and least favorite) book to movie flicks are in the comments.
- The Harry Potter Movies – I’ve had my share of freak outs over the changes in these movies along the years but I still love them. They did an amazing job capturing the magical world of Harry Potter, the wonder, the characters and the adventure. I put them on all the time.
- The Lion, Witch, and The Wardrobe – I really loved the movie the characters fit how I pictured them but they kept the wonderful main message of the book while making the entrance to Narnia just as wonderful.
- The Hunger Games – Were there changes? Yes. Where the costumes kind of a let down? Yup. But this book is so complex and full of story and action that I was actually really impressed with how they did the movie. The things they decided to include cut, how they got across important bits. I think they really captured the spirit of the tale.
- The Help – I liked this. Did it blow me away like some of the other books to movies, no. But I thought it was solid and even with leaving off many major story lines I thought it kept to the heart of the story.
- The Witches – I remember loving both the book and the movie as a kid. Super fun and ahem creepy.
- Beautiful Creatures – I have such mixed feelings about Beautiful Creatures. I adored the first 3/4 of the movie but that ending WAS NOT IN THE BOOK. In fact I feel like that ending totally went against the spirit of the book and the core essence of Ethan and Lena’s relationship in the book. I really wish they hadn’t done that. In fact it took me everything to keep myself from asking Margaret Stohl how she let them butcher her book at the last signing she was at. Sigh but I held it in.
- Percy Jackson & the Olympians: The Lightening Thief – I didn’t write down specifics but there were just SO many differences in the movie I was really disappointed. I really hope they do better with the next installment that comes out next month.
- Inkheart – Blah Brenden Fraser are you freaking serious? This is one of my favorite books, so creative, so interesting, such great story telling and amazing characters and the movie not only changed a ton but the cast was totally lacking. Ugg what a disappointing movie.
And because I was a dork this weekend and took pictures by all the movie posts of the wonderful books that will be hitting the big screen too here’s a little collage of movies I hope to be adding to my best lists. It’s extra nerve racking because some of these are my favorite books ever.