Are you one of those Thin Mint Cookies junkies? You can tell me. I honestly wasn’t setting out to make a thin mint Girl Scout cookies copycat recipe but today at my church Christmas party one of the ladies said, “wow these taste just like a thin mint, but not as dry” and I thought yes, yes they do (plus the other gals around agreed).
I have a confession. I am not a thin mint fanatic. They are way too dry for my tastes. But these while being a dryer cookie than I normally eat are perfect. They are not a full soft doughy cookie like the Lemon White Chocolate Chip cookies I shared last week but they don’t give me that dry mouth feel that I always hated with the Girl Scout cookies.
Now I will warn you. These aren’t copy cat in the sense of you can stick them in a box and call them thin mints, but they sure do TASTES just like those highly favored morsels. ANd these are SOOOO easy and SOOOO much cheaper than those arm and a leg ones in the green box.
- 1 Box Devil Food Cake Mix (I used this one)
- 1/3 C vegetable oil
- 2 Eggs
- 1 C Mint Chocolate Chips (these are my favorite)
- 40 (ish) Andes Mints
(He totally unwrapped all the mints for me!)
What to Do
- Mix together everything except the chocolate chips and mints.
- Once combined stir in the chocolate chips.
- Drop onto a cookie sheet in 1 inch scoops. Keep it small these spread a lot!
- Bake at 350F for 8-10 minutes.
- Remove from oven and immediately top each with an unwrapped Andes mint.
- The heat from the cookie should melt the chocolate and when it does take a knife and spread it around to make the icing. If your mints don’t get spreadable you can pop the cookie sheet back in the oven for a minute.
Fresh from the spreading these puppies are CRAZY addictive. I love love love the melty chocolate mint topping and the soft mint chips inside. But once they cool and the icing/candy hardens the cookies take on the thin mint tastes. Make sure you try them both ways!
I have been popping mine into the microwave just since I have a weakness for warm cookies and melted chocolate but at the party today the tray of cookies was cleared crazy fast!
Let’s connect! You can also find me hanging out here.