Whether you want to do a book advent calendar or just love collecting holiday reads I’ve got a huge list of great Christmas Picture books as well as a couple of reads perfect for Mama too!
I’ve always love the idea of wrapping up a book and opening one up each day to read with the kids as a book advent calendar, but the book hoarder in me wants all the books to be read the whole season so for now I’ve got a huge pile of picture books and flap books and pop up books in a little basket by the tree.
I love reading about the true meaning of Christmas with the manger stories as well as the fun celebrations that have become a part of the holiday for our American culture like Santa and Snowmen and all that. So here is a good mix of both religious and secular books to read for Christmas.
If you click on the title it will take you to my Amazon affiliate link and you can see pictures, reviews, and read more about each book.
Religious Picture and Board Books
Here’s some of our favorite Christmas books that focus on Jesus. These are great for sharing the religious meaning of Christmas with the littles in a fun and accessible way.
- O Little Town of Bethlehem: A Pageant of Lights – This plays the song and lights up AND has an off switch ;)
- The Night Before Christmas – My mom read this version to us growing up, I love the little illustrations and commentary
- Christmas in the Manger
- Santa’s Favorite Story
- Who is Coming to Our House?
- The First Night
- Lift the Flap Nativity – TONS of flaps
- The Christmas Story: Giant Flap Book with 41 lift-up flaps
Secular Picture and Board Books
As much as I want to make sure to keep Jesus in our Christmas I’m not against all the fun Santa, reindeer, and other wintery traditions that have evolved over the years. This next set of books are all bout snowmen, winter traditions, presents and the other fun non-religious aspects of Christmas time.
- Little Critter’s The Night Before Christmas
- Duck & Goose It’s Time for Christmas
- The Spirit of Christmas
- The Itsy Bitsy Snowman – Teddy was obsessed with this last year
- The 12 Bugs of Christmas – This one stays out year around and get’s read all the time, cute pop ups
- How the Grinch Stole Christmas
Teen and Adult Fiction Great for Reading Around Christmas
And of course I adore reading for myself during Christmas. Think Christmas Hallmark movies but book style.
- Dash & Lily’s Book of Dares
- The Twelve Days of Dash & Lily*
- To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before
- My True Love Gave to Me
- Let it Snow
- The Chronicles of Narnia
- The Best Christmas Pageant Ever
Be sure to watch as my friend Debra from Housewife Eclectic and I compare our Christmas book lists and share what we love about our favorites. Video should appear below but visit my Youtube channel if it doesn’t pop up.
*I haven’t read these yet but I have friends that ADORE them!
You Also May Like:
How to make a personalized Snow Globe Ornament
Huge list of books for Harry Potter fans broken into categories so it’s great for all ages and interests!
Over 40 awesome cookie exchange recipes including these delicious thumbprint cookies
JOIN THE COOL KIDS
Get quick and easy recipes + crafts straight to your inbox!
Leave a Reply