Princess Dress Bustle
- You need a big circle for each side. My circles had a 20 inch diameter but for a dress this size I wish that I had used bigger circles. I think 20″ looked great when my nieces were in 3T dresses.
- Fold the circle in half. If there is a right (pretty) size you want that side to be facing out.
- Sew a line of basting stitches around the round side of the half circle.
- You want your skirt to be sewn ready to attach to the bodice.
- Find the center front and center back of the skirt. And pin the bustle to the skirt. In the front you will have the edges of the half circle over lap. The basting stitches should be along the top (probably the waist) of the skirt. If your skirt is already sewn together you’ll do the same for the back as the front. If you’re putting in a zipper or have a back that needs to be finished up the middle just pin each side of the bustle to the edge of the skirt.
- Next I gather up the bustle to have it match up with the skirt by pulling the basting threads. Since I always use this technique on a skirt that will be further gathered, I go ahead and gather up the skirt (I use my cheater gathering method) and just go all around catching both the skirt base and the bustle then pin it to the bodice like you would normally do the skirt (make sure the bustle is sandwiched in between) and then you’re done with your princess dress bustle skirt.
JOIN THE COOL KIDS
Get quick and easy recipes + crafts straight to your inbox!
I would love the sew along! I think it’d be fun! I know how to make pretty easy things but have never ventured making dress up dresses. I’d love to learn how!
[email protected] says
That is a darling dress! thanks for the tutorial!
Jill @ Create.Craft.Love. says
That is absolutely adorable! I love the bustle and the fabric you chose! Thanks for sharing at the Pomp Party! Pinning!
Kathy Moody says
This is so adorable. You did a great job. :)
I know two little girls at my place that would absolutely LOVE this! Thanks for the tutorial, friend!
I love sew alongs! And I’ve got two girls how love princess dresses, YES!
Very Cute! I made a friend’s little girl a few princess style skirts for her birthday – it was her favorite present! Home made for the win! :)
I’m so glad I seen this. I was just looking at little girl dresses today. I would love it if you linked up to my party going on right now. Tip toe thru Tuesday is co-hosted by three different blogs, so you will get three times the traffic. I hope we see you there! Chrsity
Lovely little princess dress! My girls would love it! Thanks for sharing! Liz
So beautiful!! I love it!! I may have to come back and look here more closely as I make my princess dresses. Thank you for sharing at Sharing Saturday!!
Jonie @ Just Between Friends says
This is darling! My girls would die if I made them one of these!