Princess Dress Bustle
- You need a big circle for each side. My circles had a 20 inch diameter but for a dress this size I wish that I had used bigger circles. I think 20″ looked great when my nieces were in 3T dresses.
- Fold the circle in half. If there is a right (pretty) size you want that side to be facing out.
- Sew a line of basting stitches around the round side of the half circle.
- You want your skirt to be sewn ready to attach to the bodice.
- Find the center front and center back of the skirt. And pin the bustle to the skirt. In the front you will have the edges of the half circle over lap. The basting stitches should be along the top (probably the waist) of the skirt. If your skirt is already sewn together you’ll do the same for the back as the front. If you’re putting in a zipper or have a back that needs to be finished up the middle just pin each side of the bustle to the edge of the skirt.
- Next I gather up the bustle to have it match up with the skirt by pulling the basting threads. Since I always use this technique on a skirt that will be further gathered, I go ahead and gather up the skirt (I use my cheater gathering method) and just go all around catching both the skirt base and the bustle then pin it to the bodice like you would normally do the skirt (make sure the bustle is sandwiched in between) and then you’re done with your princess dress bustle skirt.