My friends and I are having a Hunger Games Hype party in a couple weeks to geek out and get excited about the movie so I’ve started to test out recipes inspired by the book. We knew we needed to have the Lamb and Dried Plum Stew that Katniss gushes over so I set to work. Now I’m not a big stew person mostly because I think you tasted one you’ve tasted them all. Stews are usually just kind of there for me. That being said I actually really liked this one the musicmaker really really liked this one he had 3 servings haha. I did a adapted Fictional Food’s recipe which was adapted from Julia Child.
- 1 lbs stew beef (I used beef since I’ve got a number of party goers that do not like Lamb plus I didn’t feel like hunting around for lamb)
- 1 tsp oil
- 1 TBS brown sugar
- 1 TBS tomato paste
- 1/2 onion chopped
- 1 tsp garlic
- 1 1/2 C water
- handful of baby carrots (I used 8)
- 1 potato peeled and chopped
- 1/2 cube beef bullion
- 1/4 C water
- 1 heaping TBS flour
- 10 prunes
- 1-2 sprigs rosemary
- salt and pepper to taste
What To Do
- Brown beef in oil on the stove (just to get color on the outside). Put in the crock pot.
- Add carrots, onions, garlic and potatoes to the crock pot. Sprinkle brown sugar on top.
- Add 1 1/2 C water to the pot you browned the beef in. Heat and add bullion. Scrap browned bits left from browning the meat. Turn off heat.
- Add tomato paste and stir. Pour into the crock pot.
- Cook on high for 3-5 hours (I did about 5 hours total). The last hour or two mix the flour with 1/4 C water and stir into the cooking mixture also add the prunes and rosemary.
- Add salt and pepper to taste (I just added a tiny bit of salt)
- Serve over wild rice. Makes about 4 average servings.
I hope you like it. Oh also my good friend Heidi who comments here regularly has finally released her much anticipated Hunger Games (and Harry Potter) paper dolls. They are so so awesome. Check them out here. I have my own set and love them!
Awesome right? Wouldn’t this make such cool gift for any Hunger Games fan? PS I got my tickets for the movie yesterday did you?
Let’s connect! You can also find me hanging out here.