1. Best Book You Read In 2012? (You can break it down by genre if you want)
- Dystopian YA: Divergent by Veronica Roth and Partials by Dan Wells
- Paranormal and Sci-Fi: Cinder by Marissa Myer and Vampire Academy by Richelle Mead
- Fantasy: The Girl of Fire and Thorns books by Rae Carson and the Graceling Books by Kristen Cashore
- Middle Grade: Inkheart by Cornelia Funke (the audiobook is great) and The Books of Bayern by Shannon Hale
- Adult: The Night Circus (although I think this is a crossover) by Erin Mortenstern
- Contemporary YA: Dash and Lily’s Book of Dares by The Sky Is Everywhere by Jandy Nelson,
2. Book You Were Excited About & Thought You Were Going To Love More But Didn’t?
- Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Laini Taylor see my review
- Under the Never Sky by Veronica Rossi see my review
3. Most surprising (in a good way!) book of 2012?
- Throne of Glass by Sarah Mass- I’m not sure what I was expecting but I adored this, great characters, strong unique story, and a good balance of fighting and romance.
- Cinder – I thought this book sounded so dumb, a cyborg Cinderella uggg, but I was convinced to read it by my friend Mark and I fell in love. Such a good book
4. Book you recommended to people most in 2012?
- Night Circus
- Graceling Books
5. Best series you discovered in 2012?
- The Vampire Academy Series – I read all 6 of them in just a couple weeks and I drove the librarians crazy since book 5 was ‘in transit’ for 3 days and it usually takes 1 day so I drove to a different library to get it.
6. Favorite new authors you discovered in 2012?
- I did an entire post about my favorite new authors for 2012 a couple weeks ago but besides those mentioned on this list elsewhere Leigh Bardugo and Jennifer Armentrout really stand out.
7. Best book that was out of your comfort zone or was a new genre for you?
- Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins – this was more or less my first contemporary read and I really really liked it. Super cute book
8. Most thrilling, unputdownable book in 2012?
- The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer and The Evolution of Mara Dyer by Michelle Hodkin – I absolutely adore these books! I wasn’t sure what genre they fell under in the top list but they are fantastic.
9. Book You Read In 2012 That You Are Most Likely To Re-Read Next Year:
- Insurgent by Veronica Roth – I already have the audiobook in my possession it will happen, possibly more than once.
10. Favorite cover of a book you read in 2012?
- I love the Mara Dyer covers they are both just so gorgeous but I think I like the first the best.
11. Most memorable character in 2012?
- Adriane Ivashkov from the Vampire Academy and Bloodlines books by Richelle Mead
- Fire from Fire by Kristen Cashore
- The Darkling from Shadow and Bone by Leigh Bardugo
12. Most beautifully written book read in 2012?
- The Night Circus – the story, the way it unfolds all of it as well as the physical aspects of the book are gorgeous
- Inkheart – I kept finding myself saying ooh that’s a good sentence, that’s a lovely thought
13. Book that had the greatest impact on you in 2012?
- Divergent – I fell in love hard. And not only did I love the book, story, writing, characters but it gave me a hunger for more and I haven’t stopped reading ferociously since I finished that book!
- Girl of Fire and Thorns and Crown of Embers – I love Elisa she is real and honest and I love watching her struggle through her life as a religious person. She’s just awesome
14. Book you can’t believe you waited UNTIL 2012 to finally read?
- Graceling Realm Books by Kristen Cashore (actually the whole series!)
15. Favorite Passage/Quote From A Book You Read In 2012?
- I need a better system for keeping track of quotes but here are a few
- God’s will. How many times have I heard someone declare their understanding of this thing I find so indefinable? from The Girl of Fire and Thorns
- But, I’m not … special,” Bailey says, “Not the way they are. I’m not anyone important.”
“I know,” Celia says. “You’re not destined or chosen, I wish I could tell you that you were if that would make it easier, but it’s not true. You’re in the right place at the right time. and you care enough to do what needs to be done. Sometimes that’s enough. from The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern
- Hate looks just like everybody else until it smiles. from Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi
- I have no idea
17. Book That Had A Scene In It That Had You Reeling And Dying To Talk To Somebody About It? (a WTF moment, an epic revelation, a steamy kiss, etc. etc.) Be careful of spoilers!
- Both Mara Dyer Books I was the first of my friends to read both and I was dying to have someone to talk to about various parts.
18. Favorite Relationship From A Book You Read In 2012 (be it romantic, friendship, etc).
- The friends group in Insignia by S.J. Kincaid
- Four and Tris duh! from Divergent and Insurgent by Veronica Roth
- Katsa and Po from Graceling and I love their relationship in Bitterblue
- and if you want more I did a whole post on some of my favorite bookish couples
19. Favorite Book You Read in 2012 From An Author You Read Previously
- City of Lost Souls by Cassandra Clare – I loved seeing more about the older generation and seeing the similarities between them and the kids that I already love.
20. Best Book You Read That You Read Based SOLELY On A Recommendation From Somebody Else:
- Vampire Academy my sister hounded me to read these, I thought the name and cover sounded were so dumb and I’m not a Vampire person but I loved them. PS the first one isn’t the best but push through because they get awesome!
1. New favorite book blog you discovered in 2012?
- Book blogs are all new to me this year I’d love to find me let me know of some of your favorites!
2. Favorite review that you wrote in 2012?
- River Secrets by Shannon Hale
3. Best discussion you had on your blog?
- Probably my post about audiobooks
4. Most thought-provoking review or discussion you read on somebody else’s blog?
5. Best event that you participated in (author signings, festivals, virtual events, memes, etc.)?
I loved the Dark Days Tour, so many of my favorite authors. And the Smart Chicks Kick It Tour was a blast too. But I did have fun celebrating Reached with Ally Condie sporting my Cassia Match Banquet dress.
6. Best moment of book blogging in 2012?
Meeting Veronica Roth and having her think my Divergent Tris shirt was really cool! Fangirl win.
7. Most Popular Post This Year On Your Blog (whether it be by comments or views)?
- People really liked my Molly Weasley Clock Tutorial and I’m not going to lie, I think it’s pretty cool myself!
- On and they REALLY liked my Insurgent book cover necklace tutorial. I may have ahem given one of these necklaces to Veronica Roth when she came through. Yeah I’m a huge dork
8. Post You Wished Got A Little More Love?
- My Top Ten Heroines post
9. Best bookish discover (book related sites, book stores, etc.)?
- Audiobooks. My sister has long told me I should try them out and I finally did after much resistance and I am a complete addict. Are you an audiobook doubter? See why I love audiobooks.
10. Did you complete any reading challenges or goals that you had set for yourself at the beginning of this year?
- Beat my Goodreads goal wahoo!
1. One Book You Didn’t Get To In 2012 But Will Be Your Number 1 Priority in 2013?
- The Fault in Our Stars by John Green
- Code Name Verity by Erin Wein
2. Book You Are Most Anticipating For 2013?
- I gave a whole list of most anticipated reads for 2013 but I only included those that came out in the first part of the year but in addition to those …
3. One Thing You Hope To Accomplish Or Do In Your Reading/Blogging In 2013?
- Connect more with the local book bloggers
- Start a different kind of book club (on the blog) more info to come, definitely let me know if that sounds appealing to you
JOIN THE COOL KIDS
Get quick and easy recipes + crafts straight to your inbox!
Tanya Patrice says
I absolutely love audiobooks too – discovered them this year and not looking back! And Divergent (didn’t love Insurgent as much though), and The Girl of Fire and Thorns – and I’ve heard the 2nd book is even better!
FOR THE LOVE OF EVERYTHING START A BLOG BOOK CLUB!!! I will be your number fan/signer upper/supporter!
marissa | Rae Gun Ramblings says
bwhahaha Sandi that comment totally made my day. Okay be on the look out for book club info/survey soon :)