There’s something so delicious about good old chocolate covered pretzel rods. Chocolate dipped pretzel rods are delicious but have you tried caramel chocolate pretzels? I’m telling you this recipe is easy and perfect for any celebration.
Even if you don’t immediate think Harry Potter pretzel wands when you see these, you’ll want to save this recipe because theses caramel pretzel rods make a fantastic addition to Christmas cookie platters, they are really easy and kind of fancy looking edible gifts, and really people just love them!
As you probably guessed from my pictures, my Harry Potter loving self made these easy chocolate dipped pretzel rods with caramel for a Harry Potter Party! I couldn’t help it they scream pretzel wands to me!
But since I first shared this recipe I have made these chocolate caramel pretzels for so many occasions. Put one or two in a bag with ribbon they they make for a really darling food gift. They are great as party favors tied up in this way. Also teacher appreciation? There is something about giving those child wranglers the perfect handheld salty and sweet treat.
And of course I’m a firm believer that at any wizarding party (be it a Harry Potter birthday party, a Hocus Pocus Halloween Party, or any other magical celebration) you need edible wands. Today I’m sharing how to make delicious and easy Caramel Chocolate Pretzel Wands.
More Easy Party Recipes You’ll Love
- Spinach Artichoke Dip – this delicious cheese appetizer can be made in the crock pot, stove or instant pot. It is my most popular recipe and it so stinking good!
- Chocolate Peanut Cup Cake Mix Cookies – your guests will never these are a casebox cookie. They look fancy and they are downright delish.
- Cherry Coke Drops – if you like cherry coke (or Diet Coke, like me) you should make these. They are really fun and turn regular soda into an absolute treat.
- Perfect Chocolate Covered Strawberries – this classic treat is so easy to make if you use the right ingredients and my simple little trick!
When the Fantastic Beasts movie came out of course we had to celebrate! We were all kind of busy so we kept it low key and doable which was perfect and still super fun.
These pretzel wands were the perfect easy on-theme addition to our spread.
How to Make Chocolate Covered Pretzel Rods with Caramel
While this recipe only has a few simple ingredients you’ll want to pay attention to the dipping technique since weirdly it’s a bit tricker than you might think. I had a poor friend who tried to just do it and didn’t actually look up tips (I don’t thinks she even knew I had a chocolate covered pretzel recipe) but in short we had a good laugh about the delicious globby mess she was left with.
Ingredients for Caramel Wrapped Pretzels Dipped in Chocolate
While I wanted large magic wand shaped treats, you can use this same technique with a variety of different shapes of pretzels. It would be tedious but tiny wands with pretzel sticks would be fun. Also those cool seasonal shapes would make for fun festive treats.
Pretzel Rods – you’ll find these in most grocery stores. Sometimes closer to the holidays they get snatched up quickly but they tend to be a staple on the chip isle where would find other pretzels.
Caramel Sheets – this is the KEY ingredient. You may think, nah, I’ll just melt caramel and make caramel dipped pretzels but that my dears is how my friend I mentioned above got herself a delicious globby mess. Trust me it’s worth it to use these. So when wall hits and people start thinking about caramel apples make sure to stock up on these. They last for a long time so it’s a nice thing to just keep on hand. You can get caramel sheets on amazon but they are WAY cheaper if you find it in your local store. Thankfully you can get quite a few out of a single sheet but really plan ahead if possible.
Chocolate Chips – I’m a big semi-sweet chocolate fan for treats like these but by all means use what your family likes or what works for your theme. You can even swap it out for white chocolate or peanut butter chips if you have people who aren’t chocolate fans!
Crisco – this vegetable shortening helps melting the chocolate so much easier. Just a little bit of it makes it smooth and way less likely to seize on you! You don’t need it but I find that it makes the job way easier. It also works great for chocolate covered strawberries.
How to Make Chocolate Dipped Pretzels with Caramel
I think the biggest hang up people have when they see these and try to make them is that they think they can dip the pretzel in caramel, let it set and then dip it in chocolate. That is a recipe for disaster. Hence we are using those convenient caramel sheets. Trust me me, it makes things SOOOOOOO much easier. And fewer dishes, yay!
- Cut caramel into thin strips. The thickness all depends on how much caramel you want on each rod. I like to cut each sheet into about 7 strips. So for each pack you should get about 35 pretzels done. You can go thinner or thicker based on your preferences.
- Wrap around pretzel rods. Take the caramel and press it agaist the pretzel using the wax paper it comes on. Stretch caramel and peel the wax paper as you go.
- Melt chocolate. Microwave the chocolate chips with a small amount of crisco (about 1 cup chocolate to 1/2 tsp crisco) in the microwave. Start with 30 seconds, stir and then re-zap in 10 second increments. If you are doing a lot at one time say for gift giving or a fund raiser, I highly recommend using a crock pot or instant pot to melt your chocolate, it will keep it nice and liquid which do you your work.
- Dip caramel wrapped pretzels in chocolate. Depending on what you melt your chocolate in you can dip or spoon drizzle the melted chocolate over the pretzel that has been wrapped in caramel.
- Cool. Lay the freshly dipped treat on wax paper to cool. Don’t move until your pretzel wands are fully hardened.
CARAMEL PRETZEL WANDS
- Cut caramel into thin strips.
- Wrap around pretzel rods.
- Melt chocolate chips with a small amount of crisco (about 1 cup chocolate to 1/2 tsp crisco) in the microwave. Start with 30 seconds, stir and then re-zap in 10 second increments.
- Dip caramel wrapped pretzels in chocolate.
- Lay on wax paper to cool.
And if you want even more Harry Potter goodness here are some sweet items below!
See hundreds of Harry Potter recipes, craft ideas and more from years of my Harry Potter series and more!