My husband and I are obsessed. Plus it’s a super duper cheap snack. You could use them for all the other normal things people do with refried beans but we love to just eat it with tortilla chips.
What you need
1 lbs. dried pinto beans
1/4 lbs. bacon
1/3-1/2 stick butter
salt (to taste but I’d start with 1 TBS and add more if you like)
cayanne pepper (to taste but I’d start with 1/2 tsp and add more if you like)
taco seasoning (to taste but I’d start with 1 tsp and add more if you like)
onion powder (to taste but I’d start with 1/2 tsp and add more if you like)
You can easily double the recipe and just use a 2lbs bag of beans but you’ll have A LOT of beans
- Pour the beans into a big pot (remember they’ll triple in size, plus you’re adding water and need room to stir)
- Cover the beans 3-4 inches of water
- Add bacon yes in strips
- Bring to boil and then simmer for 2 hours or until beans are fully cooked and tender. Be sure to check every once in a while and add more water if needed. I like mine soupy so I like to end with a small 1/2inch to 1 inch still covering the beans. Burnt beans stink so check em.
- Now you can remove the bacon now if you like or if you’re lazy like me and have the philosophy that more bacon is always better just leave it. I’ve done both, hubby liked it more when I left it in but I couldn’t tell the difference.
- Using a potato masher mash like crazy to whatever consistency you like. Add more water if you think it’s too dry for your taste. I like mine mashed but with some texture.
- Add the seasonings and butter. I just eyeball it so my measurements are total guesses and this is one of those things that is totally to taste. Just remember you can always add more so start off slow and taste.