In case you missed my big announcement I am pregnant so this week’s prompt “Top Ten Book Character Names I Love” on The Broke and the Bookish really strikes close to home. Unfortunately my husband and I have TOTALLY different opinions when it comes to deciding what counts as a “good name”. But just for fun here are some of MY favorite bookish names and some of my husbands opinions on those names.
- Ender – And I’d name the kid Andrew just like in the book and call him Ender. Also from the Ender books I like Valentine (for a girl), Petra, and Julian. He hates ALL of these!
- Artemis – I love Artemis for either a boy or girl. As in Artemis from the Percy Jackson books, Art3mis from Ready Player One, and Artemis Fowl.
- Ginerva – And I’d call her Ginny after one Ginny Weasley of Harry Potter awesomeness. Yeah anything obviously Harry Potter he TOTALLY shuts down.
- Gemma – I’ve liked this name for a long time. Most book worthy is Gemma Doyle from A Great and Terrible Beauty not my favorite book but enjoyable and a great name.
- Link – As in Linkubus from the Beautiful Creatures series. The husband thinks this is obviously a video game name (legend of Zelda) which he doesn’t like.
- Kai – I prefer this spelling to the Ky in Matched and I didn’t love the character but I’ve always liked the name. And I kind of like Xander too.
- Katsa – Oh I would so pick this name after the very very awesome Graceling character.
- Ari – I love the name Ari from Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe. But having a few degrees in philosophy I just could not do the long version of Aristotle.
- Lena – From the Delirium series. I just think it’s a pretty name.
- Will or Jem – I know I know it’s probably just because I love those boys so from the Infernal Devices so so much but I do like both the names William and James. But when talking about naming a kid I tend to want something a little more unique.
So what are some names that you like? Oh I’m really asking it’s not just an evil ploy to get comments although I love comments. We have a real live baby coming our way (March-ish) and we have no good names in the running. And since I like our little baby announcement I’ll share it again in case any of you guys missed it the first time around.
Let’s connect! You can also find me hanging out here.