Whether you want to do a book advent calendar or just love collecting holiday reads I’ve got a huge list of great Christmas Picture books as well as a couple of reads perfect for Mama too!
I’ve always love the idea of wrapping up a book and opening one up each day to read with the kids as a book advent calendar, but the book hoarder in me wants all the books to be read the whole season so for now I’ve got a huge pile of picture books and flap books and pop up books in a little basket by the tree. I love reading about the true meaning of Christmas with the manger stories as well as the fun celebrations that have become a part of the holiday for our American culture like Santa and Snowmen and all that. So here is a good mix of both religious and secular books to read for Christmas.
If you click on the title it will take you to my Amazon affiliate link and you can see pictures, reviews, and read more about each book.
Religious Picture and Board Books
- O Little Town of Bethlehem: A Pageant of Lights – This plays the song and lights up AND has an off switch ;)
- The Night Before Christmas – My mom read this version to us growing up, I love the little illustrations and commentary
- Christmas in the Manger
- Santa’s Favorite Story
- Who is Coming to Our House?
- The First Night
- Lift the Flap Nativity – TONS of flaps
- The Christmas Story: Giant Flap Book with 41 lift-up flaps
Secular Picture and Board Books
- Little Critter’s The Night Before Christmas
- Duck & Goose It’s Time for Christmas
- The Spirit of Christmas
- The Itsy Bitsy Snowman – Teddy was obsessed with this last year
- The 12 Bugs of Christmas – This one stays out year around and get’s read all the time, cute pop ups
- How the Grinch Stole Christmas
Teen and Adult Fiction Great for Reading Around Christmas
- Dash & Lily’s Book of Dares
- The Twelve Days of Dash & Lily*
- To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before
- My True Love Gave to Me
- Let it Snow*
- The Chronicles of Narnia
- The Best Christmas Pageant Ever
*I haven’t read these yet but I have friends that ADORE them!