Today’s Top Ten Tuesday topic is “10 books I wish could have sequels”. And for me I wish that the books on my list could have sequels just for the pure fact that I absolutely loved them, the characters, the world, and the story. If I’m honest with myself these books are actually perfect how they are so maybe I’m really asking for non-traditional sequels and while we’re doing that how about we add a few spin-offs to completed series.
- The Night Circus – This is one of my favorite books every. I would love a spin off book maybe from Poppet and Widget’s perspective or following the previous contestants or some other manner of a spin off since I’m not sure a true sequel would be possible.
- Parallel – I’m not at all complaining about the ending. I actually think it was kind of perfect but I love the story, characters, and ideas so so much I would love more.
- Transparent – I know that this is being sold as a standalone but I loved this spin on kids with super powers that I really really really hope that we get a sequel.
- The Sea of Tranquility – Great and complete how it is but I could see a sequel being great in the way that Where She Went was a great follow up to If I stay.
- Harry Potter – I know I know there are already TONS, but I desperately want more. I want prequels and I want
- Graceling – I love all these books. I want more and more and more. Kristen Cashore is a magician when it comes to sequels so I’m sure she could give us many more in this great world.
- The Challenge and The Academy (Steel Trapp series) – I was really getting into these books. Come on kid spys yup sounds pretty fun but then there hasn’t been a book in this series since 2010 boo. I was really liking the direction these were headed.
- Requiem – I know that’s kinda Lauren Oliver’s thing, the no real resolution ending but seriously that was way way way too open. Way too many loose ends. It freaking ends mid-fight I would like more.
- Invisibility – I liked it alright but I would love another installment. Not only did I enjoy the process of this story and the characters so I’d like more of them but I just thought the whole conflict resolution thing was strange/week I’d like a bit more.
- Life As We Knew It – For the love, please NO MORE SEQUELS. I was roped into the first three thinking there would be some resolution, but the depression level just gets worse and worse with each book. Serious these books made me majorly anxious and gave no real hope. Unless someone tells me that there is a happily ever after with the next one I vow not to read them. Don’t get me wrong they are well written, quick reads, that totally suck you in but boy are they downers.
And there’s still time if you want to play along. Here are the August prompts for the Rae Gun Ramblings bookish photoaday challenge do it as little or as much as you want by taking #rgrphotoaday on instagram or twitter when you post your interpretations of the daily prompts.
JOIN THE COOL KIDS
Get quick and easy recipes + crafts straight to your inbox!
I love what you said about Night Circus! It made my list too, I just didn’t know how it would be possible. I love the Poppet Spin off idea.
Parallel and Transparent are also on my list. I really hope Transparent gets a sequel!
UGH I know about Requiem. I’d like a more concrete resolution, please.
I just ordered The Sea of Tranquility this week! I’ve heard amazing things about it…. and I’ve already seen it on a few lists this week! I hope the book doesn’t leave me sad and begging for more! Some series completely stink and I wonder why they were ever written at all… and then there are amazing stories that deserve more than 1 book!
Katie @ Polished Page-Turner says
I feel the same way about Parallel! It was a great world that I would love to read more about. And Transparent’s sequel was announced recently! I believe it’s called Blindsided? I feel the same way about Requiem and now that you point it out Oliver is really good at half endings.
Chrissi Reads says
I can’t wait to read Parallel after seeing it featured on a few lists this week. Great list!
I would LOVE more Night Circus, but just cannot see where it could go. But Poppet? You’re brilliant! That would be such a great idea!
My Top Ten
Christina (A Reader of Fictions) says
I could potentially be into a Sea of Tranquility sequel, though preferably one with a bit less angsting. It would be nice to see them down the road, a bit recovered and trying to function like normal people.
Also, I was betting I would see Requiem pop up. I haven’t read it, but that ending made so many people really unhappy!
Eveline @ Eveline's Books says
Great list! I’d love sequels of Requiem, HP and the graceling series! (yes I totally agree with the Requiem ending disappointment!)
TTT @ Eveline’s Books
Scott Pilgrim says
I need a sequel to HP and Graceling! There is actually a sequel to Transparent coming out: http://betweenfactandfiction.blogspot.com/2013/07/you-might-be-blindsided-by-this-news.html
-Scott Reads It!
Savindi @ The Streetlight Reader says
I wasn’t much of a fan of The Night Circus, but I think if there was a sequel for Isobel I would read it. She was the only character I could pretty much tolerate in that book. Yay for Harry Potter sequels. Although I wish JKR would write about the Marauders. I think that would have been awesome.
Thanks for stopping by and commenting on my blog :).
Kelly @ Belle of the Literati says
Bitterblue is a good choice!!! I would LOVE more of that story in that world! Harry Potter–amazing!! And I had Sea of Tranquility on my list, too!! I want back in that garage! :)
Lauren @ Books, Tea & Me says
Sigh, I desperately wish for another Harry Potter book too :( Seven wasn’t enough for me.
Sara (of The Page Sage) says
YES to more GRACELING books! Even if it was a new story set in the same world, like Fire, I would be *ecstatic.*
Sara at The Page Sage
YES! Lauren Oliver. The no resolution ending is definitely her thing. Have you read Before I Fall by her? I won’t spoil it too much, but she leaves an open ending!
Free info like this is an apple from the tree of knogeedwl. Sinful?
megan @ Love, Literature, Art, and Reason says
Great picks… I should have put The Night Circus on my list, too. I wasn’t even thinking in terms of sequels to the last books of series, so that’s an awesome idea! Mine were all standalone books.
Here’s my Top Ten Tuesdays Post
Megan @ Love, Literature, Art, and Reason
The Night Circus is a really good pick — I’d love to spend more time in that world. Such a beautifully written story!
Angelica @ Paperback Princess says
The Night Circus is also on my list.
I recently started reading The Sea of Tranquility and loving it so far, but I have to get back to it as I had to read a few review books in between.
Rachel Patrick says
Seriously, if I would’ve put series on my list, REQUIEM so would have been on there. That ending did not satisfy me; I know nothing!
I just finished reading Parallel this morning and I loved it so much. It was so unique! Great picks. :)
Sara @ Just Another Story says
I think I absolutely need to read The Sea of Tranquility! SO many people have raved about this book and I absolutely need to have it in my hands! I could always use more Harry Potter. I think I would a spin off series. Part of the same world, but different characters, with a cameo or two from Potter. I dunno.
I’m glad that I’m not the only one this week unwilling to leave Hogwarts!
New Bloglovin follower
Quinn @ Quinn's Book Nook says
I have been seeing The Night Circus all over today. Everyone says it’s really good, but I haven’t read it yet. I’m thinking I should.
I always loved that HP was only 7 books. I love the series so much, but I feel like it makes it so special because it’s limited. That said, if JK Rowling wrote anything else in the HP world, I would be ALL OVER IT! :)
Stephanie @ Inspiring Insomnia says
I was one of the few people who didn’t hate the ending of Requiem. Perhaps that’s because I was prepared for it, since I read it about a month after its release. Even though I try to stay away from reviews before I read a book, I could not escape seeing all the rage directed at Requiem.
Parallel was such a lovely ending. As much as I’d love more, I;d hate to tinker with the perfection of that ending!
Thanks for visiting.
Stephanie @ Inspiring Insomnia
We both have Harry Potter on our list! :)
Thanks for stopping by our TTT!
I put Requiem and Harry Potter on my list as well. I always want more from the world of Harry Potter and more about the characters from the Delirium series. I was actually okay with the way these books ended, but I’d definitely love more. Otherwise, it looks like I have some books I need to read!
Andrea @ Mouse in My Pocket says
I love The Night Circus. I can hardly wait for Morgenstern to write another book. It reminds me of The Historian in how well it’s written. And incidentally, if you haven’t read The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova and also her second novel The Swan Thieves. They are amazingly well researched and written. I think you would love them.