I’ve had a bunch of people ask for my recipe for Seafood Mac and Cheese recipe. I’ve listed it a bunch in my weekly What’s for Dinner section of my newsletter but now I’m finally sharing it. Yay!
It’s one of my favorite dinners because it’s total comfort food with a little flair.
This recipe makes 2-3 adult sized meal portions. The musicmaker and I eat a lot and we split this but you can easily double or triple the recipe. The proportions of fish are definitely a preference thing so just use what you have or what sound good to you.
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup each shrimp, imitation crab, and fish (I use half a costco filet and sometimes I use bay scallops whatever sounds good to you will work)
- Old Bay Seasoning
- 3 TBS butter divided
- 2 TBS flour
- 1 C milk
- 4 ounces dry pasta
- 1/2 to 1 C cheese (I like to use a slice of Munster and then a big handful of colby jack)
- Onion Powder and Salt to taste
- Panko bread crumbs for topping
- Spray Oil like Pam
- Start water boiling for pasta. When boiling add pasta to cook
- If any of your seafood is raw cook it in 1 TBS butter once almost cooked through add the rest of the seafood and a sprinkling of Old Bay seasoning to taste. Remove from pan.
- Using the same pan add remaining butter over medium heat and flour to make a roux.
- Slowly add milk while stirring to make a cream sauce.
- Add cheese and melt though.
- Add seafood mix.
- Add salt and onion powder to taste.
- Next add 1/8 to 1/4 C pasta water and pasta reserving water in case you want it thinner.
- You can serve it now as a saucy pasta but what I think makes this special is this next step. Pour into casserole dish. Cover generously with Panko breadcrumbs. Spray with Pam and broil until crisp.